Friday 24 July 2015

Rachel Taylor-Beales 4th Studio Album Set for Release in Summer 2015

Press Release Stone’s Throw, Lament of The Selkie

This Summer sees Hushland Records release Rachel Taylor-Beales fourth studio album, a tragic folklore concept tale entitled Stone’s Throw, Lament Of The Selkie.

Taylor-Beales has brought together her ever-growing and eclectic grouping of musicians to this project, Paul Gray (formerly of The Damned, UFO, Eddie and The Hotrods) guests on bass and acclaimed virtuoso guitarist Dylan Fowler returns providing slide guitar and sonic textures. Lucy River’s versatile violin nuances a folk edge to the songs, whilst Angharad Evans backing vocals and Rosy Robinson’s cellos enhance with rich harmonic textures and tones. Rachel’s own brother Shane Beales makes a guest appearance on percussion leaving the rest of the breadth of instrumentation to her husband Bill and herself, including guitars, piano, organ, ukulele, percussion and bass. Rachel moves away from acoustic guitar strains for the majority of this album, replacing them with her own electric guitar playing. The overall vibe is a rich and intricate sound palette that embeds the album’s narrative in Taylor-Beales evocative sonic world.

The album itself is based around Selkie mythology from the Orkney Isles and charts the tragic story of Selkie, who over the arc of the narrative finds herself struggling and unable to sustain life on land with her land-bound partner and eventually returns herself to the sea leaving her partner grief stricken with loss.

“With the title track Stone’s Throw, I imagined Selkie as a refugee in a foreign land, a beautiful exotic being now working in a seafront kiosk, selling seaside tat and chips and tea. To me she was a refugee both in circumstance and in spirit. Having read reports of a seal being found hiding under a car in California earlier this year as a result of the warming oceans and the consequence of changing availability of food source, this image of the Selkie refugee has solidified in my mind.
I must admit to being worried that it would all be just too depressing, this tale of a seal-woman, whose life and loves break down to the point where she falls back into the sea leaving a devastated partner to grieve her… and I wrestled with the urge to lighten the content, but in the end the muse won out. In my personal life the last few years many folks around me have suffered loss. We’ve seen friends struggle with miscarriages, we’ve experienced the loss of a friend to suicide and the loss of family and friends to disease and we’ve seen relationships and marriages falling apart around us. This struggle with loss is a real and unavoidable part of life and the Selkie stories became a vehicle for me to process and retell something of this deep sense of loss in a way that is both personal and universal at the same time. I hope that as well as the dark themes, folks will be able to experience a beauty in the music I’ve created- that’s the intention anyway!”

The last few years Rachel has herself been no stranger to struggle,

“I fell from a high stage while on tour in Italy in the May of 2012. I was 5 months pregnant and will never forget the fear that the fall had harmed the baby. Fortunately my baby was fine, but I sustained injuries to my back and hips that took a long time to fully recover from. It was over a year after the incident that I was finally signed off from physiotherapy and then I had to begin to regain core strength as my muscles had completely atrophied from such lack of mobility and I found that I was unable to sing with any clarity or strength for quite some time. As I regained my core strength I ended up re-recording nearly all of my initial vocals as it became increasingly apparent that the earlier ones just didn’t cut in comparison.”

The album has taken a full three years to make from start to finish, and has been produced, recorded, mixed and mastered by Rachel and Bill in their own Hushland Studios.

“It's been great developing our own studio and Bill and I have very much enjoyed working together on this album. I’ve never worked on a project for this amount of time before, at times I felt as if it wouldn’t ever be complete, but it is such a satisfying experience to have seen it through, to be coming to the other side of my own physical battles and to now also have a product that I’ve been able to prune and hone in a way I’ve not done before. I’m very pleased and extremely proud of the finished album!”


Stones Throw, Lament of The Selkie is released on Hushland Records July 22nd 2015 and can be ordered via Bandcamp http://www.racheltaylor-beales.bandcamp.com




No comments:

Post a Comment